Ir al contenido principal
AskDover

Esta página fue traducida por inteligencia artificial. No la ha revisado ninguna persona y puede contener errores. Ver la versión en inglés

DDP Design Committee Packet

DDP Design Committee. 10 de mayo de 2023.

Abrir el PDF (322 KB)

Este texto se extrajo de el PDF de forma automática y puede contener errores. El PDF es el registro oficial, así que consúltelo antes de confiar en esto.

Página 1

Design Committee Meeting May 10th, 2023 Zoom: (over) AGENDA • Welcome & New Member Introductions • Volunteer to Take Minutes • Approval of Agenda • Minutes (April 2023) • Biggs Update • Art League Update • New Banners • Façade Grant Application(s) • Crosswalk Art Pilot Project • Public Comment • Adjourn Next Meeting: June 14th, 2023 (Zoom) The Design Committee encourages and enables improvements to buildings and enhancements to the downtown Dover business district through grant/incentive programs, public art, aesthetic amenities, and education on appropriate design principles to promote value of historic and cultural resources.

Página 2

Design Committee Meeting May 10th, 2023 Zoom: (over) Design Committee Meeting Tina Bradbury is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. Topic: DDP Design Committee Meeting Time: May 10, 2023 12:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada) Every month on the Second Wed, until Jan 10, 2024, 9 occurrence(s) May 10, 2023 12:00 PM Jun 14, 2023 12:00 PM Jul 12, 2023 12:00 PM Aug 9, 2023 12:00 PM Sep 13, 2023 12:00 PM Oct 11, 2023 12:00 PM Nov 8, 2023 12:00 PM Dec 13, 2023 12:00 PM Jan 10, 2024 12:00 PM Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system. Monthly: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/tZMkd-yprj8oGteTWhtgTYmXIBHTl3KPTKuO/ics?ic- sToken=98tyKuGvpzsvG9SRshmERpwEHYigZ-vziClBjbdYqCjtFydnWw7OH8BqBr4sO-jk Join Zoom Meeting https://us06web.zoom.us/j/87905104203?pwd=VnNSOVUvYTNpRDE5dVlibDEvM1BiQT09 Meeting ID: 879 0510 4203 Passcode: 503662 One tap mobile +13126266799,,87905104203#,,,,*503662# US (Chicago) +16465588656,,87905104203#,,,,*503662# US (New York) Dial by your location +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) +1 646 931 3860 US +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC) +1 305 224 1968 US +1 309 205 3325 US +1 669 444 9171 US +1 689 278 1000 US +1 719 359 4580 US +1 720 707 2699 US (Denver) +1 253 205 0468 US +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) +1 360 209 5623 US +1 386 347 5053 US +1 507 473 4847 US +1 564 217 2000 US Meeting ID: 879 0510 4203 Passcode: 503662 Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kbVU9lHSgP The Design Committee encourages and enables improvements to buildings and enhancements to the downtown Dover business district through grant/incentive programs, public art, aesthetic amenities, and education on appropriate design principles to promote value of historic and cultural resources.

Página 3

Design Committee Meeting 4/12/23 Via Zoom ATTENDANCE: Jennifer Gunther, Kris�n Pleasanton, Roger Ridgeway, Kevin Solomon (DAL), Elena Stewart, Dawn Melson-Williams. Michael Dudich STAFF: Diane Laird, Tina Bradbury, Jordan Resh Stewart opened the mee�ng at 12:12 p.m. Stewart led introduc�ons to new commitee member, Kevin Solomon from the Dover Art League. Resh volunteered to take minutes. Gunther announced she is near comple�on of her MBA with a focus on Central Dover. Her last step is comple�ng a capstone project, and wants to spearhead a crea�ve placemaking process. She shared that she is considering a mural with Josh Nobling funded through a NEA “Our Town” Grant. She added that she is open to sugges�ons and the deadline is in August. Minutes Stewart mo�oned to approve minutes. Melson-Williams seconded the mo�on, and the commitee unanimously approved the mo�on. Biggs Museum of American Art Dudich shared that the current exhibi�on, Front Row Center: Icons of Rock, Jazz, and Soul asked the community to share concert photography. Dudich added that responses were received from 17 different states and featured photographer, Larry Holst, will chose 30 photos to feature. Dudich shared that a recep�on with Holst will take place a�er the selec�on. Dudich noted that the Biggs is par�cipa�ng in Dover Days with free admission and art workshop. He added that people will receive passes for free admission at a future date to encourage visitors to explore Dover Days on the Green. Dudich shared that a watercolor and wine workshop is offered for Mother’s Day. Dudich shared that the Biggs is not par�cipa�ng in 4th of July on Legisla�ve Mall since they were made aware too late and cannot resource the event. The Biggs will par�cipate in Delaware Pride, Posi�vely Dover, and Comic Con in June. Dover Art League Solomon shared that the DAL is preparing a recep�on around the same date as Comic Con. Laird asked about DAL’s window display. Solomon shared that vo�ng occurred for the juried window exhibi�on, and two new winners will start installing their display this week. He added that the date for the recep�on will be available on social media once determined. New Banners Resh shared that quan��es are being determined and once finalized, the order can be placed. Downtown Dover Partnership Design Commitee Member 4-12-23 1

Página 4

Design Committee Meeting 4/12/23 Via Zoom Bradbury added that banners will be placed strategically throughout downtown to minimize the risk of damage from tractor trailers. She added that the plants will be paired with the Dover wayfinding banners and not the artwork. She noted that a change was submited to the City and wai�ng for approval. Some streets will need to have banners on the inside due to the shape of the turns. Addi�onal banners will go on poles off the streets, such as on crossing islands. Bradbury shared that installa�on date is not confirmed, but predicted June/July. FAÇADE GRANT Tastee’s Chicken & Seafood Bradbury shared that $25,000 total was budgeted for façade grants, with funding awarded to Coney Island, Tastee’s and People’s Church. Bradbury noted that people’s church may need an extension of the deadline (currently 6/9) to complete their project and would prefer distribu�ng funds from this fiscal year rather than wai�ng un�l next year. Bradbury shared that $5124.49 is available for the remainder of fiscal year 2023. Bradbury noted that People’s Church may have challenges reaching this deadline, and that they have already been granted an extension. Bradbury noted that Tastee’s had fencing in the back area for sea�ng installed, but now part of the fence was damaged and is now exposed due to last year’s fire. Tastee’s is looking to install vinyl fencing to match the newly exposed area to the exis�ng back area. She noted that this applica�on is new since the previous applica�on was completed and that owner, Brooks will be ineligible for any addi�onal funding for this fiscal year. Laird noted that there are no plans in mo�on currently to develop the neighboring vacant property. Bradbury shared that Habitat for Humanity is considering plan�ng flowers around the property since opportuni�es on the property are limited without coopera�on from the owner. Tastee’s applica�on requested $2,600 for an 8 � vinyl fence. Melson-Williams responded that the maximum height for a visible fence is 4 �. She added that if the property is in the historic district, they will need a fence permit and that vinyl may not be an approved material type and approval would depend on its visibility from the street. Melson-Williams clarified that wood fences are the preferred material and they should be painted or stained in the historic district. Bradbury shared that the higher fence was proposed to give privacy to eaters. Dudich asked if the neighboring property was not torn down if the fence would be approved, and Melson-Williams responded yes. Dudich expressed a concern for downtown business owners, because if property hadn’t burned down and since it will likely be developed eventually, Brooks is limited in his ability to do business due to circumstances of �ming. Melson-Williams shared that if businesses want a higher fence height they can apply for a fence permit and the City Historic Commission would consider the permit at their next mee�ng. Downtown Dover Partnership Design Commitee Member 4-12-23 2

Página 5

Design Committee Meeting 4/12/23 Via Zoom Laird suggested proposing a lower wood fence featuring ar�st pain�ngs. Melson-Williams responded that the project would be approved as long as the pain�ng is not a company sign and is generic in nature. Pleasanton suggested repairing the exis�ng wood fence to reduce costs. Dudich asked why this project qualifies for facade grant, and Bradbury responded that fencing is included in façade grant guidelines. Dudich asked if he could add plants to add privacy, and Melson-Williams responded the tenant could if the plants were on their property. Bradbury responded that House of Coffi received funds for plants outside their store. Melson-Williams recommended that Brooks pursues an architectural review cer�fica�on for the project. She added that staff could approve the project if the fence was 4 �., but at 6 �. the Historic District Commission would have to review the project. Melson-Williams noted that it is not clear whether DDP can approve projects outside of the City of Dover design recommenda�ons and guidelines. Stewart suggested awarding Brooks condi�onal approval upon architectural review by the City. The review process may take longer than the funds in this fiscal year are available for. Resh asked about the height of the fence at the Golden Fleece, and Melson-Williams responded that the fence is above 4� and was approved several years ago. Bradbury asked if material type would impact approval, and Melson-Williams responded that the design guidelines come from the Historic District Commission. Bradbury asked if different materials would be more likely to be approved, and Melson Williams said it would be the design of the historic district commission. Dudich suggested providing Brooks the funding once the project is completed with funds from next fiscal year. Laid explained that funding does not carry over from the City and presents unique complica�ons to the DDP’s budget. The Hive on Loockerman Bradbury shared that Chevonne Boyd of The Hive on Loockerman (28 W. Loockerman) submited design conceptual – removing previous logo, pain�ng exterior and trim, adding a Knox Box for fire safety, letering, window decals, blade sign, welcome map, drop box, exterior planters, and a sign permit fee from the city, with a total cost of approximately $21,000. Melson-Williams noted that mailboxes cannot disrupt the sidewalk/public space. Bradbury noted that not all submited costs qualify for DDP funding. Melson-Williams noted that the site was previously zoned for retail and needs review for public assembly. She added that Boyd submited a renova�on permit in the last week, but the permit was not yet issues for interior work. Downtown Dover Partnership Design Commitee Member 4-12-23 3

Página 6

Design Committee Meeting 4/12/23 Via Zoom Laird suggested mee�ng with Boyd to ensure the business is up to regula�on before awarding funding. Solomon shared that Boyd described The Hive as a business resource center with conference space for rent and spaces to film content. Bradbury added that dance lessons were adver�sed. Melson-Williams suggested reviewing the informa�on in detail. Melson-Williams noted the design commitee’s previous conversa�ons about limi�ng funding towards signage and that design cannot hinder the public right of way. Laird suggested pausing the review process to review zoning and permits and prepare a response for next mee�ng. Stewart suggested invi�ng Boyd to present her project. Melson-Williams suggested determining in advance what projects are eligible for funding. Pleasanton noted that she does not support ar�ficial plants, and Bradbury noted that the custom welcome mat is also ineligible. The commitee decided to table both façade applica�ons un�l clarifica�on is received. Laird asked if there are provisions in the façade applica�on indica�ng that the business must be opera�ng legally, and Bradbury responded that coopera�on with City guidelines is included in the applica�on guidelines. Bradbury noted that a secondary egress is required for approval of assembly permit. Crosswalk Project Laird shared that the crosswalk project could begin in the current fiscal year with a grant from the Delaware Division of Arts but would need to apply soon. She noted that in an earlier conversa�on with Michael Dudich, he suggested a juried design contest, with an honorarium provided for the ar�st selected for the project. He also indicate the Biggs may be able to assist in the process. Laird suggested the project for the intersec�on of S. Bradford and Loockerman and suggested that an ar�st would receive a grant for the design and project oversight. Laird suggested working with community members to create a “paint by number” project, similar to how the birds mural by Joshua Nobling was completed. She added that she prefers a design that could be replicated in style and that a pilot project could be completed this summer. Laird noted that the Division of Arts approached the DDP for a larger grant for $5,000 in funding with a $5,000 match, instead of two $1,000 grant opportuni�es. She added that this funding could allow more intersec�ons to be painted or murals. This would be for applica�on in FY 2024. Laird shared that they would need to work with DelDOT and City of Dover to select an appropriate loca�on and determine maintenance. Gunther noted that the project will be highly visible and recommended ensuring funding is available for quality ar�sts. She added that outdoor materials can be very expensive, and an ar�st may expect more than an honorarium for a juried contest. Laird noted that a single crosswalk could be painted to reduce cost. Gunther expressed concern for finding an ar�st that will accept a small honorarium given the necessary skillset required and the short �me frame for comple�on. Downtown Dover Partnership Design Commitee Member 4-12-23 4

Página 7

Design Committee Meeting 4/12/23 Via Zoom Laird shared that she is working with Leann at the Delaware Division of Arts. Pleasanton offered to discuss addi�onal sources of funding at DE Division of Arts for crea�ve placemaking projects. Laird offered to coordinate a mee�ng to discuss the viability of the crosswalk project. Stewart asked if design funds could be used for the crosswalk project. Bradbury responded that funding is not available in the current fiscal year for the project. Melson-Williams noted that Loockerman St. is maintained by the State, and would need an MOU for pain�ng. Laird responded that conversa�ons with DelDot to date have been suppor�ve of the project and that we already have sample agreements for similar projects from DelDOT. Laird noted that a corporate sponsor may provide funding for the project. Pleasanton shared that the Division of Arts grant would reopen July 1st and allow for more �me to apply. Laird asked if small project funding is available in addi�on to large projects, and Pleasanton responded that one or the other would be available. Public Comment N/A ADJOURNMENT Stewart mo�oned to adjourn. Pleasanton seconded the mo�on, and the commitee voted unanimously to adjourn at 1:38 p.m. Next mee�ng date: May 10, 2023. Downtown Dover Partnership Design Commitee Member 4-12-23 5

Volver a esta reunión