SLC March 4 2020 draft minutes
Parks, Recreation, and Community Enhancement Committee. 4 mas 2020.
Yo rale tèks sa a nan PDF la otomatikman, epi li ka gen erè. PDF la se dosye ofisyèl la, kidonk tcheke l anvan ou konte sou sa a.
Paj 1
Silver Lake Commission
March 4, 2020
5:30 PM, Conference Room
Dover City Hall
* DRAFT *
Members Present Others In Attendance
Tricia Arndt Carolyn Courtney, Parks & Recreation Staff
Robin Eaton Kathy Doyle, Dover Resident
Lyle Jones Andrew Howard, DRNEC
Michael Lewis Andy Riggi, Kent County Public Works
Marie Kozel
WELCOME & CALL TO ORDER: 5:30 P M
INTRODUCTIONS
Everyone gave a brief introduction.
AGENDA
The chair presented agenda. With no changes the agenda was accepted.
APPROVAL OF JANUARY 2020 MINUTES
The chair presented the minutes. With no changes the minutes were approved.
SILVER LAKE PARK CLOSURE
Mr. Riggi reported the soil sample results showed the bacteria levels have returned to normal. The chair
asked inquired about some samples that had not returned back to normal? Mr. Riggi replied where we
had done the investigation work it looked like the lime got turned under. We took additional samples
that showed elevated levels in this area. We had moved fencing to that area. The next set of sample
results came back within acceptable levels. We are good on the soil on bacteria levels and can now
remove the fence. Our investigation stopped once we got to Oak Lane. We are still planning to replace
everything from the Park to Oak Lane and through Luther Towers. We are supposed to start back in the
3rd week of March to investigate and clean the line that runs along the river from the park to Division
Street. Once completed we will move down Park Drive towards the back of Legislative Hall. The Chair
asked if they were still checking the pipe in those areas? Mr. Riggi replied we were waiting on some
materials to arrive so we can close the pipe. That materials arrived last week. We are now scheduling
with the contractor; it looks like the 3rd week of March we will start in the park area north of Division
Street. We don’t know the full extent of the damage. We assume because along the river there is no
corrosion like at Luther Towers where it is a high point in the system. We tried to camera behind
Legislative Hall and we hit debris. Went back and jetted it. We now feel we will need to slip line this
portion. The repair schedule is still May – June. We have funding from other projects to continue this
work. The Chair asked if there was indication it had been happening for a long time? Mr. Riggi replied
when we got down to the pipe, portions of the pipe the soil outside the pipe was black. Mr. Eaton
noted this was never a pipe with water, it was pressurized. If there was a whole in this line, we would
have known it. Mr. Riggi what we saw had occurred was where the line had been bypassed. Brief
discussion on it being a pressurized line.
Paj 2
Mr. Riggi we will have fencing around everything and probably a sidewalk closure for trucks and equipment along
Kings Highway. The chair thanked him for the work they are doing.
The chair asked if were definitively figure out what the sink hole was in this area? Mr. Eaton no, but stated it is
associated with a storm drain. Mr. Riggi noted we noticed two storm drains close to each other. One with sink
hole and another one. They are very close to each other and wont be able to get our equipment in between them.
It looks like a tree was there at one time. Mr. Eaton noted a tree was planted there and about 8 truck loads of dirt
and it still came back. Not sure why they did this, it was before my time. We are going to let the County do their
thing and combine to fix it together, but their project is more important and we will follow it. It will be fixed. The
chair noted this area is always damp and does not dry out. It becomes very slippery, concerned that someone is
going to fall. Mr. Eaton noted we are working on it and may have it the problem resolved had the sewer main
issue not happened.
Mr. Riggi was thanked his time and he departed.
PUBLIC WORKS UPDATE
Mr. Eaton noted with the changes in the city the grounds crew came over to Parks & Recreation with me. Public
Works is now only responsible for the dam area itself. He gave a brief overview the dam inspection and what was
fixed. Specific to the dam, the fence areas will be extended higher. Material is on the way and we will make the
recommended changes. The Public Works aspect will only be the dam for future meeting reporting.
PARKS PROJECTS AND MAINTENANCE CREW UPDATES
Mr. Eaton noted the playground area has had safety surfacing brought back up to the appropriate level. He
mentioned the status of other projects such as the volleyball court. Ms. Kozel asked if there was a timeframe for
that? Mr. Eaton replied with the switch and now 14 guys in the grounds/parks crew, I can get more guys on it. I
feel like we can knock the volleyball court out in a matter of a few days. I just really need to get my head wrapped
around all the projects as we have the new building at Schutte going up. The new building is a park maintenance
building with offices, not necessarily a public building.
Mr. Eaton noted he did not know if the past of Mr. Hudson had brought them ideas, for example was the volleyball
something you absolutely wanted? The Chair noted it was one of his ideas and we are all for it. Ms. Kozel noted it
came from the beach idea as he initially wanted to use that same for the volleyball court but then that didn’t work
out. Mr. Eaton noted we are almost done with the volleyball court. He asked if the kayak launch was something
they were in favor of. The reply was yes, the Chair noted she wrote a letter of support for the grant application to
do the kayak/park improvement projects.
The idea will be to deter people from swimming yet appealing to launch their boats. Mr. Eaton noted I have a
relationship with Mr. Howard here, that we will work together on planting the right plants, etc. With discussion, it
was noted the Chair would great to be a riparian area with a couple of benches in this area along with the kayak
launching area. Mr. Jones asked if there would be a harden surface for handicap? Mr. Eaton at this time we don’t
have plans to add this type of material. I know many beaches now are using materials like a matting to get people
on the beach. The chair shared information on the U of D Coastal Design Studio. Grad students that work on
riparian walkway, hard/land scaping, project like this. I’d be willing to see if this is a project they could help design,
they are free.
Mr. Eaton noted the environmental scientist, Josh Barth worked on the east side bank from Division up to the dam
marked many invasive species and those have been removed or in the process of removing them. Brief discussion
took place on city staffing being back up to normal levels which is taking care of things that were neglected.
Mrs. Doyle asked if this is the same deal from the State Street bridge? Mr. Eaton replied with yes, Mr. Barth and
Mr. Howard have been working together to maintain and clean these areas.
Ms. Kozel asked about the entrance to Silver Lake Park off of Washington Street, that this area was cleaned up but
now you see a lot of trash. They took out a lot of overgrown weeds, etc. Discussion took place, Mr. Eaton noted if
it is on city property we can get in there and clean this area up.
Paj 3
COUNCIL COMMITTEE AS A WHOLE
The Chair noted that last time we met Councilman Anderson invited us to a Council of the Whole Committee. I will
be going on Tuesday, March 10. My plan is to go over who we are and what we do, what is in our charter that
were supposed to do and what we actually do. We are tasked with reviewing site plans, but that doesn’t happen
through that often. So more so, what we have morphed into doing more More often the SLC gets park updates
and provides maintenance suggestions. We had talked about using our role as an advocacy role to get more
support for the park, more visitors, push council and city to make park improvements. That is my plan to put
forward, let them know we are here as a resource and open the lines of communication. Members were invited to
attend with the Chair, I think this will be a quick 5 minute in/out thing. Do not expect this to be long.
Ms. Kozel asked about the police activity and all of the talk of the problems from last year, have cameras been
installed? And I’ve noticed they have been falling off about closing/opening the gate. I see what looks like a
camera on a light post near the beach area. Mr. Eaton noted the police department bought some they can move
around at any time. But he stated would contact the police and find out about the cameras and ask them to be
more aware of the gates opening/closings.
SPRING CLEAN UP EVENT (CANOE & KAYAK ACTIVITY)
Ms. Courtney noted the group from Michigan State University did not pan out for us this year. They did not come
on March 2, as reported in January.
Mr. Jones noted the HOBY kids would be available in June, after school. Glen Stubolo is the contact for that.
The Chair inquired about the spring kayak event date, if we have one? There is no set date for the Kayak/canoe
event. Open Streets is partnering with Habitat for Humanity to host an event in Silver Lake as a healthy lifestyles.
We are awaiting a date for their event per Mr. Eaton. This group was holding off on setting off a date, due to a
Wesley College Open Streets event. Possibly June 6 is when there were looking. In discussion, a date was not set.
It was discussed to not have a spring date, but a summer or fall date for this activity. Staff would determine the
other activity dates and report back to the commission for coordination. Possibly a clean up with the HOBY kids
for a spring cleanup. Mr. Jones agreed to reach out to Mr. Stubolo about the HOBY availability and a date may be
set based on feedback.
NEW BUSINESS
Site Plan Review
The Chair stated a site plan review is coming our way probably soon. The city planner thought that we should
review this in person at a meeting. The old Dover High will be two middle schools. The site plan is in the vicinity of
Silver Lake therefore, we have been asked to make comments. I have looked at it, it doesn’t appear there is any
impact to the shore line or riparian buffer. So, if we can, and Ms. Courtney is checking on this, I’d like to see if we
can do our review via email so that we don’t have to meet again next month. Ms. Courtney will check with the City
Clerk to see if the plans could be shared via email with comments drafted. Mr. Jones asked if they were going to
address the pipe that comes from the pond to Silver Lake, near the entrance (as you are driving along Pat Lynn
Drive). Mr. Jones was asked to look at this when we do see the site plans.
Federal Fish and Wildlife
Mr. Jones stated he had recently attended a meeting of Federal Fish & Wildlife, they are starting a similar program
like the did for the Chesapeake Bay for the Delaware Bay. They have millions of dollars and Delaware has not
spent any of it. It’s for buying property, habitat repair but they have a lot of money that we could get. There have
been no Kent County projects. We had designed a storm water structure for behind the jr. high (Central Middle)
and they would pay to build that. But the problem is it is a one for one match, so that is part of the problem. If the
City of Dover wants to do some projects there is money for it. You could contact Fish & Wildlife at Bombay Hook
and they have the number of the federal people to contact. It’s a lot of money so, we should get it. Mr. Jones
answered the question of an official announcement, that it was not released yet, but it’s coming. They pay
someone to help you write the grants.
Fork Branch Preserve
Paj 4
Mr. Jones noted a park watch has been established for Fork Brank Preserve. They are looking for people that walk
the trail to report problems, trees down, major trash, etc. (The new trail on Kenton Road.) There is a meeting on
March 12 at the Rose Cottage, 5 – 6 PM for those interested.
Mirror Lake Clean Up
Mr. Howard noted on April 24, they will be doing a park clean up event at the Mirror Lake site where the plantings
were done. Mr. Eaton was aware of this and it’s on the city calendar. Mr. Howard noted it does not take long, we
mainly pick up trash, etc.
Recaping Action Items:
The Chair will contact the U of D, Coastal Design group with deadlines in mind, regarding the beach/kayak project.
Mr. Jones will reach out to Mr. Stubolo regarding a date for the HOBY kids.
Mr. Jones will send out information on the Fish & Wildlife grant once available.
The Chair asked for anyone to send her ideas for the Committee as a Whole report if they have them.
NEXT MEETING DATE
Wednesdays: March 4, June 3, September 2, and December 2
ADJOURNMENT
With no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:22 PM.