Ale nan kontni prensipal la
AskDover

Entèlijans atifisyèl (AI) tradui paj sa a. Pèsonn pa revize li, e li ka gen erè. Gade vèsyon angle a

DDP Design Agenda and Minutes

DDP Design Committee. 13 septanm 2023.

Louvri PDF la (293 KB)

Yo rale tèks sa a nan PDF la otomatikman, epi li ka gen erè. PDF la se dosye ofisyèl la, kidonk tcheke l anvan ou konte sou sa a.

Paj 1

Design Committee Meeting September 13, 2023 Zoom: (over) AGENDA • Welcome & New Member Introductions • Volunteer to Take Minutes • Approval of Agenda • Approval of Minutes (August 2023) • Biggs Update • Art League Update • Façade Grant Application • Façade Grant Guidelines/Program Funding Discussion • New Banner Project Update • Crosswalk Art Pilot Project Update • Public Comment • Adjourn Next Meeting: 10/11/23 (Zoom) The Design Committee encourages and enables improvements to buildings and enhancements to the downtown Dover business district through grant/incentive programs, public art, aesthetic amenities, and education on appropriate design principles to promote value of historic and cultural resources.

Paj 2

Design Committee Meeting September 13, 2023 Zoom: (over) Design Committee Meeting Tina Bradbury is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. Topic: DDP Design Committee Meeting Time: Sep 13, 2023 12:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada) Every month on the Second Wed, until Jan 10, 2024, 5 occurrence(s) Sep 13, 2023 12:00 PM Oct 11, 2023 12:00 PM Nov 8, 2023 12:00 PM Dec 13, 2023 12:00 PM Jan 10, 2024 12:00 PM Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system. Monthly: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/tZMkd-yprj8oGteTWhtgTYmXIBHTl3KPTKuO/ics?ic- sToken=98tyKuGvpzsvG9SRshmERpwEHYigZ-vziClBjbdYqCjtFydnWw7OH8BqBr4sO-jk Join Zoom Meeting https://us06web.zoom.us/j/87905104203?pwd=VnNSOVUvYTNpRDE5dVlibDEvM1BiQT09 Meeting ID: 879 0510 4203 Passcode: 503662 --- One tap mobile +13126266799,,87905104203#,,,,*503662# US (Chicago) +16465588656,,87905104203#,,,,*503662# US (New York) --- Dial by your location • +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) • +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) • +1 646 931 3860 US • +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC) • +1 305 224 1968 US • +1 309 205 3325 US • +1 669 444 9171 US • +1 689 278 1000 US • +1 719 359 4580 US • +1 720 707 2699 US (Denver) • +1 253 205 0468 US • +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) • +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) • +1 360 209 5623 US • +1 386 347 5053 US • +1 507 473 4847 US • +1 564 217 2000 US Meeting ID: 879 0510 4203 Passcode: 503662 Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kbVU9lHSgP The Design Committee encourages and enables improvements to buildings and enhancements to the downtown Dover business district through grant/incentive programs, public art, aesthetic amenities, and education on appropriate design principles to promote value of historic and cultural resources.

Paj 3

Design Committee 8/9/23 Zoom MINUTES ATTENDANCE: Michael Weeks, Roger Ridgeway, Mark Nowak, Kristin Pleasanton, Dawn Melson-Williams, Kim Adams STAFF: Jordan Resh, Diane Laird, Tina Bradbury CALL TO ORDER Bradbury called the meeting to order at 12:15 p.m. GUEST • Mark Nowak – Public Works Director of City of Dover. • Michael Weeks – Central Delaware Habitat for Humanity. Bradbury noted that Weeks is pursuing becoming a committee member. Bradbury thanked past members, Hart, and Stewart, for their service on the committee and announced their departure and that a new chair of the design committee will be required as well as new members. Laird suggested Gunther for the chair position. Laird noted that Hart and Stewart left to allow for new members to contribute. VOLUNTEER Resh offered to take minutes. AGENDA Pleasanton motioned to approve the agenda and Melson-Williams seconded. The motion passed unanimously. MINUTES Weeks motioned to approve the April minutes and Melson-Williams seconded. The motion passed unanimously. BIGGS UPDATE Laird shared that Dudich is unable to attend due to his work on developing the Biggs Museum of American Art’s master plan. Resh shared that new expansions and events were added to Paint Dover! this year, including a growing relationship with the Biggs Museum through a weekend exhibition in their third-floor Design Committee 8/9/23 Downtown Dover Partnership DRAFT 1

Paj 4

Design Committee 8/9/23 Zoom gallery, virtual and extended exhibition, dueling demos, and new territories and awards. Laird noted that the event and growing relationship with the Biggs Museum is a part of the initiative to develop Dover as an artist hub. ART LEAGUE UPDATE Bradbury relayed an update provided by Solomon, who was unable to attend: the fall catalog of classes will be launched soon and the free Kids Camp for kids in the 19904-zip code was successful and sold-out. NEW BANNERS Bradbury shared that the banners were delivered and are high-quality, with plans to coordinate with Antonio and Roger from the City to install with the goal to have install occur before leaf- collection begins. Laird asked if the banners could remain up through the holiday, suggesting that a few are switched out with the holiday banners and wreathes instead of all of them. Ridgeway shared that the wreaths replace banners. Pleasanton suggested developing a unified pattern that mixes the banners and wreaths to change the holiday schema. CROSSWALK ART PILOT PROJECT Resh shared that the DDP has partnered with Randi Meredith of Milton for project oversight and logistical planning on the painted crosswalks pilot project. A design application is being finalized and being coordinated with local organizations to engage Dover artists and increase awareness, although the application is open to anyone. Next, DDP will share the opportunity with the DelawareScene, artists channels, survey respondents, and marketing materials for social media promotions. The goal is to have the winner announced by August 31st, designs finalized by September 15th, and installation before the end of October. Resh asked Nowak if the city could update the existing striping at the intersection. Nowak responded that he does not think the city maintains the striping nor the traffic ticks on Loockerman St. Nowak referenced the 1964 Traffic Agreement that designates responsibility for striping to DelDOT and all “extra”, like bike lanes, for the city. He added that he is unsure if the crosswalk update is considered an “extra”/specialty measure and that he usually works with Matt Lichtenstein and Duane Shaffer from DelDOT. Nowak offered to contact Antonio and Matt. Nowak shared that Lyons reported that the intersection at Queen St. and Loockerman St. is thermoplast, which the city does not update. Design Committee 8/9/23 Downtown Dover Partnership DRAFT 2

Paj 5

Design Committee 8/9/23 Zoom Laird added that the goal is to complete the project by the end of October. Laird added that the city submitted two permits, one for each crosswalk, and that a board member suggested a special event permit to control traffic with DelDOT. Resh shared that she reached out to Riveria from DelDOT who responded favorably to the idea. Once a date is selected, DelDOT could cover the costs of traffic management alongside the efforts from the city permit. Nowak responded that the city and state coordinate special event permits to determine who covers what. For example, the city controls barrels and cones and DelDOT provides additional traffic management they deem necessary, such as message boards. He added that the decisions are usually made between Dover Police Department and DelDOT, not the city. Melson-Williams added that a special events permit is required to close the roads and suggested working on the permit now to make the city, state, and police aware of the project. Nowak added that Lyons submitted a safety permit, which is the plan that determines what is required for DelDOT. Laird clarified that the crosswalk painting will have public participation and be a community event/block party. Melson-Williams suggested filing a city special event permit, noting that is may need to be planned around existing fall events such as Delaware State University and Dover High School parades. Nowak shared that when a road is closed and requires a detour, an engineer, such as Lyons, is needed to design a plan, but that Lyons does not handle special event permits. He added that he and his team will evaluate what is needed from the permit and that Ian Thompson from the city and Mike Riveria from DelDOT are the points of contact for the permits. Laird added that the reason for the special permit was to have costs covered by the state/city instead of having to pay for personnel. Melson-Williams shared that payment for personnel will depend on the requirements for the event and that special event permits from the city goes to review in the Department of Planning and Inspections. The applications from Lyons will remain and additional special permits from DelDOT and the City will be filed by Resh. FAÇADE GRANT APPLICATION Melson-Williams shared that conditional use review process due to use of merchant space for assembly received conditional approval and are working together on permits so that the property can continue to be used for assembly. Bradbury added that since the property was approved for conditional use, the previously submitted façade application is eligible for review. She added that certain components, such as the knox box, key-entry mailbox, and welcome mat are not approved façade improvements and were removed from the list for consideration. Design Committee 8/9/23 Downtown Dover Partnership DRAFT 3

Paj 6

Design Committee 8/9/23 Zoom Melson-Williams noted that she is weary of funding signage since if the business closes its investment is not useful and that painting is more favorable. She added that there is no language that prevents approval for signage from the grant. Melson-Williams added that she does not support planters since they are not permanently fixed to the building or the group, which is different from the landscaping included in the application since it can be taken if/when the business leaves. She also noted that the planters may affect the walkability of the sidewalk, which is already decorated with fixtures and planters. She noted that she also does not support the purchase of fake plants. Bradbury added that the FY24 budget is $9,000 for façade grants that are not also filed for the Critical Improvements Program. Melson-Wiliams asked about the ask for an emergency egress. Bradbury responded that the egress is related to assembly zoning and a way to install a more visually appealing doorway. Weeks shared that she supports the purchase of egress over other components that are specific to the business since it improves the property itself. Melson- Williams added that the updated zoning will likely require a second egress, so the application is not for the primary doorway. She added that given the limited funding for the year and a desire to welcome new businesses downtown, a partial grant amount would assist the new owner and allow funding to remain for additional projects throughout FY24. Melson-Williams motioned to provide $2,000 to the Hive on Loockerman for painting, signage, and emergency egress door installation. Bradbury shared that the City of Dover permit cost is covered through the Downtown Development District application. Laird added that DDD funds will help support the remaining expenses not covered by the grant. Pleasanton asked if covering signage is still eligible expenses. Melson-Williams responded that language has not been developed to disallow signage, but conversations have occurred that note that signage does not provide the same investment in the property itself and is dependent on the business remaining. Pleasanton suggested listing all eligible projects and allowing applicants to pick which they want to apply for. Pleasanton seconded the motion from Melson-Williams. Bradbury asked Pleasanton to complete the Façade Grant template to deliver to the owner of the Hive on Loockerman upon approval. The motion was unanimously approved. Laird suggesting adding to the agenda a conversation about signage and developing façade recommendations. Resh shared that research was completed two years ago about façade Design Committee 8/9/23 Downtown Dover Partnership DRAFT 4

Paj 7

Design Committee 8/9/23 Zoom programs that focused on specific initiatives that favored the appearance of downtown, instead of individual properties/businesses, such as the initiative to remove gated doors in Wilmington, DE. Bradbury suggested researching grant programs that could provide funding for façade applications. Laird suggested corporate sponsors for façade projects. PUBLIC COMMENT None. ADJOURNMENT The meeting was adjourned at 1:15 p.m. Design Committee 8/9/23 Downtown Dover Partnership DRAFT 5

Tounen nan reyinyon sa a