Skip to main content
AskDover

2018 October Meeting Packet

Safety Advisory and Transportation Committee. Oct 2, 2018.

Open the PDF

This text was pulled from the PDF automatically and may contain mistakes. The PDF is the official record, so check it before relying on this.

Page 1

  Bicycle/PedestrianSubcommittee  Tuesday,October2,2018 5:00PM–6:00PM LargeConferenceRoom–DoverCityHall  AGENDA   Agenda  MinutesofSeptember,2018  NewItems 1. IntroductionofNewChair  OldItems: 1. DelawareBicycleCouncilInnovationGrant 2. ConstructionProjects(DelDOT) 3. DoverTreasureHunt 4. BikeFixͲItStation 5. DoverDuathlon 6. PedestrianIssues 7. DoverPAL–BicycleProgramUpdate  Announcements  Adjournment           THE AGENDA ITEMS AS LISTED MAY NOT BE CONSIDERED IN SEQUENCE. PURSUANT TO 29 DEL. C. §10004(E)(2), THIS AGENDA IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE TO INCLUDE THE ADDITION OR THE DELETION OF ITEMS, INCLUDING EXECUTIVE SESSIONS, WHICH ARISE AT THE TIME OF THE MEETING.

Page 2

Bicycle Pedestrian Sub‐Committee Dover City Hall Large Conference Room Dover, DE September 11, 2018 *** DRAFT ** Members Present: Others Present: Chris Asay, Jayce Lesniewski, Dave Moses, Gerry Carolyn Courtney, Margie Cyr, Pennington, Fran Riddle, Andy Siegel Eddie Diaz, John Fiori, Anthony Smith INTRODUCTIONS CALLED TO ORDER: Meeting opened at 5:03 P.M. AGENDA Mr. Asay presented the Agenda for approval. Mrs. Cyr suggested we move Officer Smith/Dover PAL ahead of the agenda, Mr. Asay asked also for the Bicycle Plan and Pedestrian Plan Update to be added for an update to move Pedestrian Issues to “Old Items” and a discussion on the Amish Bike tour. With those changes, the agenda was accepted without objection. MINUTES The minutes of August were presented. The motion was made and seconded to accept. This past without objection. NEW BUSINESS DOVER PAL Mr. Moses noted he been talking with Officer Smith about some of the bicycle programs at the Capital School District and DelDOT /Bike Rodeos. I think we can do each other some good and work together on some things. Officer Smith introduced himself as the Police Athletic League Coordinator (PAL) and what the role entails. Noting he has held a youth fire prevention program with Delaware State Fire School; and in partnership with DSU Police hosted a youth football combine with a friend, former Ram’s player; for example. He then shared a Dover PAL video on the Murphey School project that rejuvenated the athletic areas of the property for the kids. Noting, this partnership program provided about a $30,000 project with Dover Lowes, Dover Police, and community volunteers. Officer Smith said when he heard about the Bicycle and Pedestrian subcommittee, he saw the potential for a partnership possibly in biking, teaching kids to ride a bike. A large percentage of kids cannot ride a bike in working bike rodeos. As officers, we see kids riding bikes of all sizes, no helmets, and unsafely. So how can we help this, where can we start? He has a meeting set up with Capital School District about the PAL program and teaching kids to ride bikes. He plans to start from the ground up inside the schools to teach kids how to ride a bike. The bike rodeo is great if one knows how to ride a bike, but he wants to teach kids how to ride safely. This would be a PILOT program in the schools if they agree. Once, they are taught to ride, then we can on some basic bike maintenance, etc. He would like to see how we can make a change and be successful, and thinks starting in the school setting will be smart. Mr. Moses noted there is a program in the 4th grade now that has been taught to the kids. We need to start somewhere and stating he would like to see it in Driver’s Education in the high school, too. He felt Dr. Shelton had committed to running our curriculum in the district. Officer Smith noted we will need to use the DelDOT trailer for this afterschool program. Mrs. Courtney noted the Dover Elks Lodge may be able to offer bicycles and safety gear to provide to the children who go through the program. As they have done several bike give‐a‐ways with bike rodeos and our summer camp programs.

Page 3

Officer Smith stated we need something to see if they like it and can learn first. Bikes could be given away at the end of the program for completion. Mr. Siegel noted if it had not been for a bike he would not have entered the workforce. It’s how he got to his first job. Some basic discussion took place on the idea of this program. Officer Smith was thanked for his time and invited to come back to share updates on the program once he meets with Capital School District representatives. He will have a better grasp on know how this subcommittee could assist with volunteer hours, etc. once he meets with the school and gathers interest. OLD ITEMS DELAWARE BICYCLE COUNCIL INNOVATION GRANT Ms. Courtney noted Mrs. Cyr and she had met on August 30th with representatives from the DBC onsite at Mallard Pond. Talked about different avenues for funding and support of the city. We are on their radar, they are continuing their meetings with other applicants. Mr. Asay asked if our application was ok? Answer, yes, we had a site visit. Mr. Asay asked Mr. Fiori to tell us about the process. Mr. Fiori said the working group committee will meet on the 18th to put the applications through a ranking system. They will all compare notes and rank the projects. They will distribute the money until funds run out based on the rankings. Nominations will be taken to the full DBC on October 3 to be voted on. Those awarded will be notified the next day. CONSTRUCTION UPDATES Mr. Fiori shared the US13 sidewalk improvements went out for PS&E in September. Once the project is awarded, the construction will start in the spring of 2019 (Big Lots to Leipsic Road on east side). The Senator Bikeway phase 1: all right‐ of‐ways and easements have been acquired. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2019. Bradford Street survey plans were just released, so they will have plans out for comments for 30 days. PS&E for this project is summer of 2019, it’s a street enhancement (side walk improvements between Division Street and Loockerman Street). The RAPID Flashing Beacon project for the POW Parkway will begin in September if the the weather cooperates. Dover Treasure Hunt Mrs. Riddle shared that there is not have much to update. We are hosting a meeting on September 27 at Frasier’s from 3 p 4 pm, Ms. Courtney will share the notice with each of you. This will be a reality test, to see if all groups are still interested and we still have a green light to move forward. BYLAWS REVISION Mrs. Cyr noted we do not have an update, it is still on the back burner. BIKE FIX‐IT STATION Mrs. Cyr stated the unit had been received at the Library. Ms. Courtney has contacted Jason Lyon with Public Works for installation to continue moving this project along. We do not have an installation date as this time, but she will follow up on this and report again next month. DOVER DUATHLON Ms. Courtney noted the Duathlon Committee will meet on Friday morning. The date has been selected for April 6, 2019, schedule conflicts that could be avoided were considered in the date selection. She will continue to update accordingly. BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN PLANS Reed Macmillan from Dover/Kent County MPO sent this emailed update: We did however, receive (August 27, 2018) a request from the City of Dover Manager to consider the City of Dover 2015 Bike Plan Update in our FY20 UPWP budget. The FY20 UPWP budget will be reviewed by our PAC and TAC in February

Page 4

2019 and voted upon by our MPO Council in March 2019. All submitted transportation projects (i.e. 2015 Dover Bike Plan Update) will be rank ordered via decision lens and depending on the available budget for transportation projects/studies, projects may or may not be funded at 100% by the MPO. We will have a better idea how the study requests rank during the February 2019 PAC and TAC meetings.” Mrs. Cyr stated we will continue to follow this in February 2019 when they will be planning their 2020 budget. PEDESTRIAN ISSUES Mr. Lesniewski noticed the mid‐block crossing on State Street was missing from the minutes. Mrs. Cyr noted the Kings Highway/Weyandt Builiding sidewalks are on the City’s list of projects and will be addressed. The New Street by Owens Manor, city staff is investigating this matter. Mr. Lesniewski stated there is a crosswalk sign there and no clear crosswalk markings. The State Street cross over to access to Silver Lake Park was discussed with Jason Lyon. This needs to be a joint project between to DelDOT and the City. This is on the city radar for projects. Mr. Lesniewski noted we have some emails from Ann Marie Townshend and the state, as they were at one time willing to work with us on this. The North Division/Pennsylvania areas has been reported thru work order submission. Mr. Asay noted the city has a priority list and so does DelDOT. If the community gets involved we can get things changed on the project list. Mr. Moses noted maybe we as a committee should talk with the residents to see if this a priority for them. Mr. Asay noted we are advocating for the users not necessarily the property owner. Brief discussion took place. Mr. Asay thanked Mr. Lesniewski for his time on these matters. He stated he would like to see the top priority of the Pedestrian Plan get finished. ANNOUNCEMENTS Mr. Asay asked to have the Amish tour on the agenda for next month. Mr. Moses noted is was well done. Bike Delaware did a great job putting on a cyclists event. Some routes were changed and given the conditions there was still a large crowed. Mr. Fiori noted he did most of the event, however the rain caused him to head home as that was right on his route. He would say parking in the grass area was a bit of problem. Not sure why the location was changed other than they were able to see beer. Mr. Moses quetioned why they changed some of routes going up into Smyrna and the venue. Aside from that overall it was a good event with less causalities, he thought. Mr. Pennington noted the roads were ok, as he did the 50 mile with no problem. Some did not like parking in the grass and parked at the former Acme parking lot site. With this discussion it was noted this discussion covered the activity. Mr. Siegel noted too many risks with riders on this tour, as many people ride like the road is closed. Too many novice cyclists that come out, the diversity is good but also creates problems. ADJOURNMENT With no further business the meeting adjourned at 6:10 PM without objection.

Page 5

Dover Police P.A.L.  ToBicycleandPedestrianSubcommittee:  Re:Capitalafterschool“Pilot”bikeprogram  Date:September19,2018  Hello, OnSeptember18,2018,ImetwithmembersofCapitalSchoolDistrictinreferencetoour“PilotBike Program.”Thedetailsofthepurposedprogramweregreatlyacceptedandwearenowmovingtothenext stepofsettingthefoundationfortheprogram.  WhenIneedassistancewiththeprogram,Iwillcontactthesubcommitteewithdetailsandprogramneeds.  Sincerely, PatrolmanFirstClassAnthonySmith DoverP.A.L.Coordinator           EmployerIdentificationNumber:81Ͳ5218410  400 SOUTH QUEEN STREET, DOVER, DELAWARE 19904 T: 302-242-2091 ANTHONY.SMITH@CJ.STATE.DE.US WWW.DOVERPOLICE.ORG/PAL

Back to this meeting